8804 Grant Avenue Overland Park, KS 66212 913-735-3127
Post Service Officer
(Per 2017 VFW Congressional Charter By-Laws)
The Post Service Officer shall assist members of the Post, their surviving spouses and orphans and other worthy causes brought to their attention in obtaining rightful entitlements from federal and state governments. The work of a Service Officer shall be performed in accordance with the instructions contained in the VFW guide for Service Officers under the general supervision of the Department Service Officer. The Service Officer shall perform such other duties as may be incident to the office and as may from time to time be required by the laws and usages of this organization or lawful order from proper authority.
1. Offer research and advice to veterans who wish to handle their own claims.
2. Assist veterans who are filing original claims for compensation and/or pension with the Department of Veterans Affairs and complete the required VA forms on behalf of the claimant.
3. Assist veterans in reopening claims for service-connected disabilities and complete the required VA forms.
4. Follow up on status of claims filed by veterans with the VA Regional office.
5. File Notice of Disagreement with the VA Regional office if a veteran believes the decision made by the VA was incorrect.
6. Review statements of the case from the VA regarding denials of claim and assist veterans with the preparation of responses.
7. Assist veterans or surviving spouses in the preparation of appeals for denial of claims and file the appeals with the local VA regional office for forwarding to the Board of Veterans Appeals in Washington, D.C.
8. Complete VA forms other than for original claims.
9. Answer/research telephone inquiries regarding medical, death/burial and other miscellaneous benefits.